Monday, May 5, 2008

23 Weeks and counting

Hello All:

Well, just started week 23 of my pregnancy which means I only have 16 weeks left before delivery. It is amazing how fast time goes by. I am just shy of being 6 months pregnant and really do feel as though I am in my honeymoon trimester. I feel great, and other than the expanding belly (and everything else), I feel "normal". As I mentioned previously, started feeling the baby move at around 15 weeks, but now you can actually see my stomach move when the baby decides to adjust or kick me. The baby is extremely active! Ken and Jasmine both felt the baby move in week 22, and are so thrilled. It was so cute when Jasmine felt the baby move...the first time she was like "mommy I did it", like she made my belly move. The second time she said "Oh my baby brother/sister". Now she loves to rub and kiss my belly. Sometimes she even gets into conversations with the baby....it is very, very cute.

As for my weight, it was a rough month. I gained a great deal of weight, but am hoping to level it off this month. As of this morning, I have gained 18 pounds when I should be closer to 14 or 15. It may not seem that far off, but when you gain one pound a week, it puts me in a range I rather not be in. My OB didn't see it as a big deal though, telling me that some months you may gain a great deal of weight, while not gaining anything the following month. So that is my goal this month, to gain 0 to 1 pounds. That will put me back on track, at least for the most part.

Not sure if I mentioned it in my last post or not, but Jasmine's room has been painted and looks so cute. Finally got pictures loaded to my PC, so will post the pictures here soon. We will have to finish up the baby's room soon. We should have painted by now, but the paint is still sitting in the garage. I cannot blame anyone other than myself, I have been on the lazy side lately, but hopefully with our crib here now, I will be more motivated.

The only task I was able to complete this month was redoing my baby registry. I was so certain I knew the sex of my baby that I selected things gender specific, but lord and behold, I was wrong (which doesn't happen often...lol). So I spent the last few weeks modifying. It took some time, but I finally got it done and this time I was smart about it and only registered at one place. Which brings me to a question. Is it okay to have a baby shower with a second child? I did some research on the internet and almost everyone said it was okay, but when I talk to others they are surprised. Personally I think it depends on one's situation. Our reasonings are:
1) Most of our smaller baby items were given away when we moved from San Diego to Raleigh
2) Several of the larger items were stolen or broken when shipped here
3) I never had a baby shower with mine or Ken's family to celebrate the coming of Jasmine due to distance (main reason)

There are a few more reasons, but they become too detailed and might give something away some of you do not want to know.

So with that said, is it okay? Is it greedy? I mean the main purpose is to celebrate the coming of a newborn, right? So why do I feel guilty? Even with the guilt I want one so bad, maybe because I missed out the first time around, I don't know, I guess I just feel it is part of a tradition that I and the baby missed out on. Maybe I am just a weirdo...okay I am a weirdo either way, but still.

Moving on, we are off to my parents house this weekend to visit and pick up a few items. This will be our last visit there until 2009 so I am really looking forward to spending quality time with my parents. I know I will see my mother again when she comes down in August, but it will be so hectic then, there will be no time to relax.

My next doctors appointment is May 30th. I will try and post something in early June before we head up to New Jersey. After that my appointments will be two weeks apart, which means I should start posting more often. Until then, enjoy life and drink one for me.

Love,

The Whelan family in NC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dina-

You should totally have a baby shower, especially if you didn't w/ Jasmine. You and the baby deserve that Dude! This is a time for you and the baby to be spoiled. You should register and send it out Honey!

Glad to hear you are doing well. Kate

Christine said...

I didn't get one from the family for Kamryn and I resented it. Kudos to you for speaking up. I think EVERY baby should get some sort of shower, blessingway, whatever you call it. Maybe it doesn't have to be to the degree of the first one (unless circumstances warrant it) but every child should be welcomed into the world with a celebration of some sort.